Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Waking up on the other side of life story by August H Mallory

As I look back on what my life could have been. but never was. I keep thinking about what my family was like, we were very poor in many ways. after my dad became disabled things begin to go down hill. I didn't realize it at first but I had often wondered why we as kids could not afford the things that we did as we were growing up. dad had became disabled due to an injury on his job. and I had often wondered why he didn't go to work everyday like alot of fathers did.
I went through hell in school, getting into fights with other kids because I didn't dress as well as they did. my mother was a chronic alcoholic, everybody knew it. they would make fun of us kids because she wouldn't care how she dressed or what she wore in public, it was really embarassing for us. dad was in and out of the hospital alot. and dealing with an alcoholic mother was not an easy thing.
I don't know how I did it but I managed to survive such horrible times. I later entered high school, this was not an easy ordeal either but it was better than elementary school was. after my four years in high school ended, it was now time to find a new career for myself, what was I going to do with my life now that school was now over with. I was not afraid of growing up like most people were. I really wanted to move on. but as I grew older I saw very little opportunity for myself. I wanted to go to college. but could not afford the cost. so I had to ask myself, what do I do now. I didn't care for the life of being a hustler like many black males in my community had ventured off into. It may be a crime to be a black man in america, and I already had this strike against me, because I was already labled a criminal, even by my own race. so I took another route, I joined the U.S.Armed forces hopefully this would give me the edge on life that I needed. being in the military wasn't too bad of a life, but even then I was confronted by discrimination by whites and even other blacks.
I didn't see this at first but alot of the prejudice I experienced was based on jealousy. and even today the military still has its share of jealousy and prejudice. I have often wondered why I would be confronted by hostility. I always considered myself an easy going person. and I think this was the problem I was a fairly nice guy. and in many cases peo[ple are willing to take kindness for weakness, and this happens in every environment. as I look back on my life today, I have asked my self. how did homelessness happen. it was due to the economy in many cases. jobs were hard to find. jobs at every level.
even temporary employment was on a down low. and I asked myself, I am a veteran of the armed forces why am I having such a hard time trying to find employment. as I looked around many people with the college degrees were getting all of the jobs. at one time if a person was a veteran of the military he or she was given first consideration over everybody. but as times have changed this is no longer the case anymore. as I tried to go to school on the GI bill I ended up dropping out because I had to keep a roof over my head. the money for school helped with school but it didn't help my living situation. and this just put me in a bigger mess than I was already in.
I have now sought the help of credit counselors to keep me out of debt. and help me to resume my payments on what I owe to whom. I now own and operate my very own wholesale and retail business. and I am now getting many, many, inquiries concerning my small business. I have joined the local chamber of commerce, I now help make decisions on various zoning laws and districts. I have just awkened on the other side of life.

No comments: